19 Bennetts Road – The new home of KZSW Advertising

Our new home at 19 Bennetts Road is located within the Three Village Historic District, which extends north and south off North Country Road (Route 25A) for several miles. Actually, the Bennett House is one of the “newer” buildings in the District, which includes over 100 structures that were built before the Revolutionary War. About 100 yards north, for example, is the Thompson House, circa 1700. It’s now a history museum that shows what life was like on a Long Island farm in colonial times. (Thompson House is open to the public. For visitor hours and more about local history, visit www.threevillagehistoricalsociety.org.)

The Three Village area was visited by President George Washington soon after the Revolution, in part to thank the local Setauket Spy Ring. Also known as the Culpepper Spy Ring, the small band of resistance fighters had sent regular reports on the occupying Redcoats during the war to the General’s headquarters. They evaded detection by taking small boats across Long Island Sound by night.

PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE.

When Stafford Associates purchased almost 10 acres of land in Setauket to build a new, state-of-the-art technology center and offices, they agreed to restore the Bennett House located on the property. The house, which was built some time before 1850, had been moved at least once. It was originally located north of its present location, in the path of Route 25A. The building had been deteriorating for some time.

The restoration took quite a bit longer and required more patience and resources than anyone could have anticipated. But thanks to the dedication of the Stafford family and the outstanding work of general contractor Gerard Chasteen of St. James, 19 Bennetts Road has a new lease on life. And KZSW is happy to be the first to occupy it.

 

Leave a Reply